In the port we have introduced a new modern waste management method which is based on the following principles:
- separation of waste at the source by type and further processing method,
- separation of all re-usable waste for recovery (recycling),
- biological processing of biodegradable waste,
- minimum depositing of other waste (deposit site).
After a few years of management according to the principles stated above, we have established that less than 20% of total waste is deposited at the deposit site for non-reusable waste.
The following waste is put to good use: wood, stable manure, shavings, metal waste, paper and some types of plastics.
Utility activities cover the following tasks:
- collection and transport of waste and acceptance of waste from vessels,
- composting of biological waste and the sale of compost,
- mechanised cleaning of streets, handling areas and warehouses,
- supervision and maintenance of the sewage systems, oil traps and cesspits,
- washing of containers and vehicles,
- care for green spaces and clean storages and other areas by the order of Port of Koper.